Saturday, December 6, 2008

The game is afoot!

My wits are tested every year at Christmas time by a game that requires keen powers of observation, extreme diligence, ingenuity and above all, patience. It pits William and I against three relentless and painfully clever rivals- our children. Aaron especially is a master at the game, earning him the family title of "the Finder." Laugh if you will, but he is like a bloodhound on a scent, and almost always finds the object of his search. And that object now is...The Christmas Presents.

In the past, I've been able to fool the kids by stuffing them into empty cereal boxes, behind dressers and bookcases, in empty ice chests, and especially up high in the closet. I've even hidden them under the bed at Grandma's house. (They found those.) As they've grown, the high spots don't seem to work anymore, and they're pretty cagey, and good at guessing my oddball hiding places. I wonder how they manage to look in so many places in such a short time. And I worry about forgetting where I hid them in the first place. (At least they can be birthday presents if I find them on time.)

Now, if I do chance to get them wrapped, that's another story. I almost never label them with a name, leaving the children to shake, rattle, and roll every package. We often hear strange shaking noises and whispers as they huddle around the tree discussing all the possibilities for present distribution. I have to be pretty inventive to mark each present so that I know who they're for, without cluing in the kids. One year I totally messed up and ended up having to open half the wrappings to redistribute them to their rightful owners.
I started shopping this weekend. Yes, I know it's a little late. They saw me come in with bags. And now the game is afoot.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Why not take them to the neighbor's house? That seemed to work for my parents. Or the attic although your kids are probably old enough to get there now too.
You will have to let us all know who wins.

Shannon said...

Oh, we've done that. It worked really well. But I guess we just kind of enjoy the challenge around here.

Anonymous said...

You could do like we did with the boys and put a 'code' on each package, then the fun is figuring out the code!