Sunday, October 26, 2008

I was sent to Time Out, again

Those of you who've known me for a long time probably aren't very surprised. But at least it was fun this time, and not spent with my nose in the corner. William took over the Mom Taxi duties this past Thursday so I could go with Mom to Time Out for Women, held in San Antonio. Can you think of any more fun place to have it?
We enjoyed dinner Thursday night on the Riverwalk. The weather was so perfect, it could have been in an advertisement. It was nice to get away for some kid free time.

Friday morning we enjoyed some waffles at the hotel before we went to the seminar. I know Texans are proud to be Texan, but are Texas shaped waffles a little over the top? They were fun anyway. And tasty.
The Time Out Life Seminar was a new format we hadn't been to before, and it was really enjoyable. The speakers were Sheri Dew, Virginia Hinckley Pearce, Wendy Watson Nelson, and Wayne Boss. They spoke on a variety of topics, and as you'd expect, I learned from each one of them. My head is still swimming with ideas that the speakers shook loose in this tiny little brain.
Here's a bit of information from Wayne Boss. He spoke about power, and different types of power, and how we can gain and use it in positive ways in our lives. He listed 7 kinds of power and then asked us which we think is more the most powerful. See if you can figure it out. Here they are:
1. position (being the president, boss, etc.)
2. reward (giving favors)
3. information
4. coercive
5. expertise (skills)
6. charisma
7. referent (who you know)
I was surprised that he surveyed the room, having about 100-200 women raise their hands, and only about 6 people chose the correct answer. Which form of power do you think is greatest?

3 comments:

Becky said...

You can't leave us hanging like that. Was it Charisma? I'm totally guessing. Don't forget to post the real answer soon.
Oh, and I love the new look of your blog. Very cute.

Shannon said...

Thanks.
Nope, not charisma. It is somewhere in the middle.
I can't believe how fast Jimmy is growing! Every time you post, it surprises me. I guess I'm used to seeing my kids who don't change as fast anymore.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say charisma, but that isn't it. Is it information?