Friday, October 31, 2008

Powerful Answers

Here's the answer to my question about power, at least according to the Time Out speaker. I agree, and even more shocking, I was one of the few raising her hand. The strongest form of power that was listed was referent power. I figured that one out by asking myself who is the most powerful person, and how do you get that power? I came up with Jesus Christ being the most powerful and that you get that power by getting to know Him and acting like him. The speaker told some stories about use of influence by friends to change situations, and explained that referent power is a function of trust. If a person trusts you, you have your own power, and the power of that other person extended in your behalf. Think how many jobs are given because of who you know, not what you can do. Well for me, that provided some interesting fodder for thought. Hope you have some too. FYI, he said the second strongest was reward, and the weakest is position, coming in right behind coercion. Just in case you were curious.

No comments: