Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm a man, I'm a big strong man!

When Aaron was about 2, he went around saying "I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a big strong man!" He'd picked it up on a cartoon we'd watched. Today we found out it's still true.
I was subbing in a second grade class at another school today, when I got the dreaded phone call. It was his school nurse, telling me he'd fallen off the jungle gym and "sliced his chin open." "It looks pretty bad, he needs to go get it stitched up, how soon can you get here?" So I got the class covered, thanks to a wonderful and understanding staff at Chandler, and hustled out the door.
I was happily surprised when I arrived to a calm, but slightly greyish Aaron in the clinic. He was so laid back, that I wouldn't have known anything was wrong if it wasn't for the gauze pad he was holding. We have such an awesome nurse- I just love Mrs. Roberts!


Here's what I saw when we went out the door- it's hard to really see because it's underneath his chin. And no, I wasn't mean and delaying his treatment, he wanted to see what it looked like, so he asked me to take a picture with my phone. Isn't he clever?


Aaron was a little nervous about getting stitches. But I reassured him they would numb his chin before they did anything. Luckily, we were able to be seen by our family doctor right away, rather than wait in the ER. Aaron was one tough cookie! He sat up without even flinching while they cleaned it out. He just squeezed my hand and grunted a couple of times when they gave him the numbing shot. (It stings quite a bit.) Then was just asking if he had to go back to school or if he could go home and play on the Wii while the doctor was putting in his stitches. Here's the finished product:
He was proud of getting his first set of stitches. To top it all off, he even went and performed in his Fourth Grade musical tonight.


He really is a big strong young man!

3 comments:

Teryl said...

I just have one question! How on earth did Aaron reach the grand old age of 9 without getting stitches before?

Curtis has had to get stitches so many times that we've quit taking him to the doctor and we just sew him up ourselves.

Shannon said...

Believe me, it wasn't for lack of effort! That boy has an extremely overworked guardian angel, there's no other explanation.
I said when I picked him up at the school that it didn't look to bad and I thought I had some tear glue (like for animals), and the nurse insisted he really should see a Dr and get stitches. ;')

Tamara said...

Aaron and I should swap war stories! I got my first set of stitches due to an unfortunate fall from a playground apparatus when I was in the first grade. :)