Monday, September 1, 2008

Beasts in the Bacon, and Hooray! Families are Forever

Sunday after church, the horde was starving- stomachs growling ferociously, eyes red, teeth bared, dogs cowering nearby with ears laid back and tails tucked in fear- so we all got to work and made some pancakes and bacon. Sam flips a pretty mean pancake, by the way. As we're happily tucking away those flapjacks, somehow the conversation turns to creepy crawlies, like huge spiders. This is not unusual at our table, as Sam and I are outnumbered by the three hairy legged types. So I made the comment that why, just once, couldn't we talk about butterflies and cute fluffy bunnies, or something more pleasant. The boys just laughed and rolled their eyes, resuming their conversation.

So a few minutes later, Jake grabs a piece of curled up bacon and announces that it looks like a scorpion.
Then he flips it over and says it looks like a sea horse. Sam thinks it looks like a sting ray, and on and on we go. We found all kinds of beasts in our bacon, and were all giggling and being oh so silly.
I know normal families find shapes in clouds, and we do that too, but our family has taken finding shapes to a new level, we can do paint splotches, shadows on the walls, and...bacon. And it's fun, really fun, and I'm amazed at how clever and charming my three little angels can be.

Later we were reading the Book of Mormon together, and I laid in the floor to read. Pretty soon Aaron was next to me, tickling me and giving me butterfly kisses (don't tell anyone he does that- he's much to old and cool to admit it.) Jake was humming, I made a comment and the kids and I all got to giggling, much to Will's consternation. We managed to finish our chapter, and then pandemonium ensued, first there was some nice back rubbing, then tickling, then wrestling, a crazy mixture of flailing arms and legs, and giggling until our sides hurt. It was chaos! And it was wonderful!

Why would I blog about such moments? Because it feels to me like they are the most important to remember. They are the moments I treasure the most, when we are just hanging out and being ourselves, a family. When I get to enjoy Sam's sense of humor, the boys' rough and tumble silliness matched only by their sweetness as they snuggle next to me, William wrestling with all three at once, and winning. It's when we find joy, when things are simple and it's just about us. It's when I feel the most blessed, and when I want to shout Hooray! I love them! They are mine and I am theirs, and we are sealed together forever!

2 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

That was super sweet. Thanks for the post!

Unknown said...

Ronny and I have been talking about kids a lot lately. We are trying to do some planning, and honestly, to decide whether or not we even want to have any children. I find the prospect of parenthood terrifying, and so I find myself rejecting the idea outright on most occassions.
But this post has really touched something inside of me that I wasn't sure I had. Thank you for sharing your moment. Though it may sound silly, I feel changed for having a glimpse of what your family means. Now I hope to have the same experience some day soon.